Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Delhi Tour!

Namaste!
I am quickly adapting to life in India, although this week has provided a few challenges.  I have spent the last few days with my roommate Peiqi, a volunteer from Singapore, learning Hindi and exploring Gurgaon.  On Tuesday, during one of our many excursions around the city we managed to get lost because our rickshaw driver did not understand where our apartment complex was located.  Although, I have managed to learn quite a few Hindi phrases, neither Peiqi nor I was able to explain to our driver that he was going in the completely wrong direction.  Luckily, English is one of the many national languages of India and we were able to find someone to translate our directions to the driver. 
In the late afternoon and evening I have been devoting my time to reading and walking ten minutes to the nearest internet café so I can wake people up at 6AM or 7AM est to say hello.  I would definitely say that the time difference is more of a hassle than I anticipated, but my family members and Christopher have been very good sports!  
Yesterday was the first day I was able to actually see New Delhi.  Peiqi and I left the apartment with a driver and traveled 45 minutes on the crazy Indian highway (nobody uses lanes and seatbelts in the back seat do not buckle), to New Delhi.  We began our tour at Qutub Minar and then visited the Lotus Bahai Temple, and finally Humayun’s Tomb.  We also stopped at an Indian goods market and I purchased a Sari that I will wear to the Taj Mahal on Sunday (I am very excitedJ).  Below I have included the pictures that Peiqi and I took throughout the day and I am quite sure they do not do the monuments justice.  It is so hard to believe that many of these structures were erected between the 4th and 11th centuries.  As I travel through the cities I find myself wishing that I was able to take an Indian history class so I can understand how the country became what it is today.
 Although, I loved the exquisite architecture of Qutub Minar and Humayun’s Tomb, I enjoyed visiting Lotus Bahai Temple most.  The temple is considered a place of worship for all religions and it was the first holy place I have been in since I arrived in India.  Another challenge in India is my religion, since churches are not around every corner I am not afforded the opportunity to pray in many sanctuaries therefore, I took advantage of the ten minutes I had in the temple to pray. 
On our way out of the temple we met some people that wanted to take a picture with me because I am American and that is definitely very new but I guess I will get used to it.  Tomorrow we head to Old Delhi for more sightseeing. 
Phi Milenge
Namaste,
Allie

New Delhi Sights:
Qutab Minar

                                          

Qutab Minar

Lotus Temple

Humayun's Tomb

1 comment:

  1. yeah girl yeah! sounds like you are having a blast and the inner history major is coming out to play. i like your new india shirt! it's wayyyy cute! your roomie is cute as well. the time difference is SUCH a pill dude. were you wicked jet lagged? will you do any dancing circa slumdog millionare train station scenes?

    LOVE,
    sheeriny

    ReplyDelete