Monday, December 6, 2010

Adapting to India

Namaste!  Sorry about the lack of correspondence since I have arrived.  I have to go to an internet cafe to use my computer and buy an hour of wifi (which is wicked cheap) but I have been calling my family members with that time.  Since I have arrived on Friday afternoon I have been living in Gurgaon with several volunteers and exploring the local markets in my free time.  Yesterday I took a rickshaw to a mall about 10 mins away with a friend and while the ride was a little treacherous in the traffic, it was also a lot of fun.  On the ride home our driver was so small that he was struggling to make it back to our apartment.  At one point I was afraid he would drop us on the side of the road because he could not handle our weight.
         The food at my coordinator's apartment has been wonderful and I have not found it difficult to adapt.  The area where we are living is very wealthy and in an area that would be considered the suburbs and I will probably experience more of a culture shock when I travel further into the city this week and when I move to Faridbad and start living in the orphanage.  This week I will be learning Hindi and exploring all the tourist attractions with another volunteer.  I will be posting tons of photos by Friday so everyone will be able to see the beauty that is India.  Also, Sunday is the day I will travel to Agra to the Taj Mahal and I will try to express how amazing that trip will be.   Although, the sight seeing and down time is great I cannot wait to move into the orphanage next week.  I hope all is going well in the states and I love and miss you all!
Namaste,
Phi milenge (see you later)- I don't know how to say talk to you soon yet!
Love,
Allie

4 comments:

  1. Alexandra-- It sounds like so far so good. We are so happy for you. I have read Eamonn both your entries and he loves them. He cannot wait to see photos. He wants one of you on the rickshaw. Have fun! Love you, don't really miss you yet. P.S. He is dying to see the Taj Mahal-- it was in one of his library books xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie!!!! First of all, I am so sorry that I didn't get to talk to you again before you left. I have been so busy with appointments lately that it is driving me crazy!!!! I am so happy that you are loving India so far. It sounds fantastic. I wish I could be there with you. I love you with all my heart and am sooo proud of you.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got there safe and have fun exploring this week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun!!! I'm glad you're liking it so far :)

    ReplyDelete