Thursday, January 27, 2011

Republic Day!


Namaste Friends!
I am sorry that I have been updating my blog so sporadically, but life is pretty hectic at the orphanage.  Since I last wrote following Lorhi I have gotten into a pretty rigid routine and I love that the girls and staff are starting to allow me to help out more as they become more accustomed to having me around.  My days now start at 3:30 or 4:30am because I wake up to make breakfast.  The girls are back in school now and they need to eat by 7am so our day starts extremely early and we are all have asleep as we roll chapati's.  All my time in the kitchen is going to be beneficial when I get home and crave Indian food because I now know how to make almost all the dishes we eat daily and I have become quite skilled at rolling chapati's. 
Since the girls are back in school there is not much to do between 9am-1pm.  Dayana and I have been spending a couple of hours washing dishes or cutting vegetables for lunch, but during the mid morning the orphanage is very quiet.  The college girls do not go back to school until Jan 31 so we spend a lot of time playing cards if they are not completing chores.  Sarah and I taught the girls how to play Mafia, Liar (BS) and Egyptian Ratscrew.  Although I love all three games I have played them so many times in the last two weeks that I am going crazy (I need to think of some new games!).  Starting on Monday Dayana and I want to start volunteering at a children's hospital a few days a week while the girls are in school so we do not sit around during the day.  We both want to be as much use as possible during our time here, especially since we are taking a week off to relax and travel.

Yesterday was Republic Day, India's celebration honoring the signing of the Constitution on January 26, 1950, and I had been looking forward to the celebration for some time.  The eight girls in my English class worked tirelessly for 2 weeks memorizing the Indian National Anthem and they were supposed to recite it yesterday.  Unfortunately, they were unable to perform because some of the teachers at the school decided it was not appropriate because not all of the attendees speak English.  To say I was mad, frustrated and disappointed is an understatement. The girls worked so hard and they were incredibly excited to perform for their friends.  Today I will hold a little party for them because they put in so much effort and they will perform the National Anthem at the Annual Assembly in March because the event it is not a school function.  Luckily, a girl in my class, Akanksha, was able to recite her speech about the meaning of Republic Day in English and they did not cut that from the program (I have a clip of her reciting her speech but it wouldn't load).  Below I have included several  pictures from the event.
Love,
Allie


















No comments:

Post a Comment