Friday, January 14, 2011

Lohri!

Hello Everyone,

This week at the orphanage was great!  The only downside was that Violet left, it always stinks to say goodbye to the other volunteers because we all get very close after living together for a few weeks.  Another volunteer, Sarah, arrived on Monday and she will be here until next Sunday.

On Wednesday Dayana, Sarah, Violet and I spent Violet's last afternoon in Faridabad treating ourselves to ice cream and a nice lunch at an Indian/Chinese Restaurant (it seems like every multi-cuisine restaurant is Indian/Chinese).  The food was great and it was nice to relax.

Thursday was a very special day because it was Lohri.  "Lohri, is celebrated every year on 13th of January. It is a festival celebrating fire.  At this time the Earth starts moving towards the sun marking the auspicious period of Uttarayan. First Lohri is very important for the newly wed and the new born babies as it marks fertility. At night, people gather around a bonfire and throw puffed rice & popcorn into the flames. Prayers are offered to the bonfire seeking abundance & prosperity. People make merry by dancing & singing traditional folk songs."

Special food was prepared for all the meals and the girls dressed up for the event.  After dinner a band arrived and the girls taught us some beautiful dances. Once the musicians left we all gathered around a large bonfire and everyone sang traditional songs.  Halfway through the festivities I was asked to sing and anyone that knows me knows I cannot sing to save my life.  Luckily Sarah sang 1/2 of Lean on Me with me (we were told it was a great honor to be asked and we should sing, hopefully next time they will give me a little warning!).  The next big event at the orphanage will be Republic Day on January 26th so I will make sure I have a song ready in case they ask.  The eight girls in my English class are going to sing the Indian National Anthem in English at the event and I am really excited. 

Here are some photos from the event!











They passed out peanuts and popcorn as a treat!



                                                                           Playing Twister!


I miss and love you all.

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment